Can I buy firearms on Backcountry Gear Exchange?
No. Backcountry Gear Exchange does not host the sale of firearms or firearm parts (optics are not considered a firearm part).
How do I become a vendor on Backcountry Gear Exchange?
When making an account on the website, click the box that says “apply to become a vendor”. We review all vendor applications prior to letting people sell on our site. We will ask several questions about your outdoors background and prior online sales experience.
What if I have a problem with an order?
If you are not satisfied with your experience or think you’ve been ripped off, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will make it right.
I’m a vendor. I’ve just sold an item. Now what?
Ship your item within 72 hours of the purchase date (unless you have a valid reason for why it will take longer than 72 hours to ship AND you communicated this fact in the item description) and input the tracking number for the item under your vendor profile. As long as you have listed your PayPal email address in your profile, you’ll be paid shortly after your buyer’s payment goes through.
Do you sell internationally?
At this time, we are only serving US based customers. Please do not purchase an item if you are not shipping to a US address.
I’m a vendor. Do I have to get a tracking number for every item I ship?
No, however we STRONGLY recommend sellers use tracking numbers for their items. If a buyer claims they never received the item and the seller cannot prove it was shipped, the buyer will always have the upper hand in a dispute. If every item is tracked, this never becomes an issue.
How much commission do you take?
We take 4.1% of every sale. PayPal takes 2.9% as well as a 30 cent processing fee for each order. For example, if you sell an item for $100, you will keep $92.70.
Do you charge sales tax?
Because we merely provide the marketplace, it is up to the vendor to determine if sales tax is required on an item. If it is and they want to charge sales tax based on the location of the buyer’s shipping address, they will select the “taxable” option when adding the product. If they want to charge their own fixed tax amount, they may add it to the handling price of the item.
Can I return an item?
Generally speaking, you cannot return an item simply because you changed your mind. However, some vendors will allow returns. You can use the contact form to email us with your return request.. We will review your case and get in touch with the vendor.
But what if the item shows up different than described or not at all?
If you are ripped off, you do have certain protections from PayPal detailed below.
What’s covered with PayPal Purchase Protection
- You bought a spotting scope, but received binoculars
- You bought an item described as “new,” but received something that was used
- You purchased 3 items, but only received 2
- The item was damaged during shipping
- The item is missing major parts (that the seller didn’t report)
- You purchased an item described as authentic, but received a knockoff instead
What’s not covered with PayPal Purchase Protection
- Real estate
- Motorized vehicles
- Custom-made goods that are significantly not as described
- Industrial machinery
- Prepaid cards
- Items that violate our policies
- Anything bought in person (not over the internet)
- Send Money transactions to friends or family
- Disputes filed more than 180 days after the purchase for item not received and significantly not as described claims
- Unauthorized transaction claims reported more than 60 days after the transaction date of the transaction
- Items that were described accurately by the seller